Primary school PE and school sport: new funding
1. In April 2013, the Government announced new funding of £150 million for physical education (PE) and sport. This funding should be used to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision.
2. Funding will be allocated to all maintained and state-funded schools with primary phase pupils, including: primary, middle, special and non-maintained special schools, academies and pupil referral units from 1 September 2013. A typical primary school will receive about £9,250 annually in the academic years 2013/14 and 2014/15.
3. Schools are free to determine how best to use this funding to improve the quality and breadth of PE and sport provision, including increasing participation in PE and sport so that all pupils develop healthy lifestyles and reach the performance levels of which they are capable..
How will we be spending the PE and Sport funding and who will benefit?
At Grassmoor Primary we are investing £2958.00 of our funding in affiliating to the North East Derbyshire School Sport Partnership (NED SSP). NED SSP is passionate about improving the lives of young people, by providing opportunities through Physical Education and Sport.
NED SSP will provide a core package to support the school in;
- Continuous professional development signposting and support
- Inclusion training and support
- PE and School Sport Audit
- Level 1 School Games (intra-school) support
- Access to Level 2 School Games calendar appropriate for age group (inter-school – cluster / district)
- Access to Level 3 School Games events (qualification only)
- Membership of the Derbyshire School Sports Association
Leadership & Volunteering
- Mini Leader programme - training / mentoring
- Bronze Young Ambassador programme (Y5 only)
- School Sport Organising Crew development (primary / junior)
Club & Community Links
- Signposting to local clubs through competition programme
- Sport specific curriculum support (KS2 only)
Talent Identification & Development
- Shooting Stars talent programme (Y5-6 only) to include parent workshops, elite performance trip, easter academy and summer residential
- Midday Supervisor training
- Active lunchtime programme
- Bikeability programme (Y5&6)
- Early Rider Infant cycling programme (infant only)
- Change 4 Life Sports Club programme (Y3-4)
- Support for schools to achieve School Games Kitemark for PE and Sport
- Cluster and Individual School development through a PE and School Sport audit
- Sharing of good practice through regular PE Coordinator/Headteacher meetings at cluster and SSP level
- School Sport Partnership Conference (KS1 event)
- For more information please visit the partnership website www.nedssp.co.uk
Our school has completed an audit of PE, school sport and physical activity to inform how to effectively maximise the impact of the sport premium funding. Therefore, in addition to our affiliation to the NED SSP, we have allocated the following:
- Lead Practitioner support £2000.00 – NED SSP Lead Practitioners are supporting our staff to develop their confidence and competence to deliver high quality physical education. As well as having an impact on staff confidence, it is also having an impact on pupil attainment
- Subject leaders release time to attend NED SSP Development days £600.00
- Transport costs to get children to sporting events £500.00
- Supply cover to allow staff to accompany children to sporting events during the working day £500
- Equipment, playground marking and notice board £5192.00
- Tai Chi every morning £2000
Tai Chi is a vital part of our Sports activities and all year groups have at least one session per week. Year 2 and Year 5 have a session every morning.